Back pain is a very common disorder, affecting men and women of any age. Among the main reasons for medical consultation and absence from work due to injury, back pain can be, in the most serious cases, extremely annoying and debilitating for those who suffer from it. Although it can affect any stretch of the back, back pain mainly torments the so-called lumbar area (low back pain ), as it is here that most of the weight of the body and loads are concentrated at the time of their lifting.
Back pain can present itself in various ways: for example, some patients describe it as a dull pain; someone else like excruciating pain alternating with phases of apparent remission; someone else still like a “burning” feeling. Back pain recognizes several causes and risk factors.
In most cases, it is due to muscle problems; less commonly, it results from vertebral fracture to a herniated disc, sciatica (or sciatica ) or neuralgia, and, even more rarely, from spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, spondylosis, or spinal neoplasm.
Factors that favor back pain include incorrect lifestyle habits (obesity, sedentary lifestyle, poor posture, a too-soft mattress, incorrect weightlifting technique, etc.), anxiety, and stress.
The published material is intended to allow quick access to general advice, suggestions, and remedies that doctors and textbooks usually dispense for the treatment of Back Pain; such indications must in no way substitute the opinion of the attending physician or other health specialists in the sector who are treating the patient.
What To Do
- Reduce the loads on your back
- Protect your back from trauma and avoid sudden movements
- Regularly practice sports and physical activity. To remedy back pain, it is advisable to focus on toning and stretching exercises associated with moderate aerobic activity.
- Regularly practice a motor activity aimed at reducing body weight and improving muscle tone and elasticity.
- Maintain your ideal weight. It should be remembered that obesity is also a risk factor for back pain.
- Always perform movements by the extent of the trauma suffered to the back.
- If the witch’s stroke causes back pain, settle in an analgesic position (i.e., a position where the trauma was felt), as this relieves the pain.
- Absolute rest for a period not exceeding 12-48 hours (starting from the moment the witch’s blow was felt)
- Undergo manipulations and decontracting massages (performed by expert and qualified personnel)
- The hot packs on your back may temporarily relieve pain.
- Avoid cold shocks and drafts as much as possible.
- It understands the causes of back pain to intervene with a specific treatment promptly.
What Not To Do
- Undertake a new “do-it-yourself” sports training: if performed incorrectly and undisciplined, power sports – such as bodybuilding – can be very harmful to the cervical spine.
- We have been maintaining an incorrect position for a long time.
- Often wear shoes with high heels: it is advisable to prefer comfortable shoes, suitable for wearing throughout the day.
- Getting too stressed. Avoiding stress is a good remedy for relieving back pain since tensions are often discharged on the spine.
- Excessive rest: such an attitude is not good for back pain. Indeed it can even worsen the condition. In fact, in conditions of immobility, the musculature tends to weaken, becoming even more unable to withstand the numerous stresses to which it is subjected.
- Violent efforts and excessive muscular and ligament stresses
- Incorrect postural attitudes
- Incorrect lifting technique
What To Eat
- Foods rich in calcium and phosphorus have a positive effect on the health of the spine.
- Alkalizing foods (especially fruits and vegetables rich in magnesium ) to prevent back pain caused by osteoarthritis
- Broths, tripe, and boiled meats (sources of collagen ) to improve back pain dependent on arthrosis
- Foods rich in phytoestrogens (e.g., soy): food remedy particularly suitable for postmenopausal women suffering from back pain
- Foods are rich in Omega 3 and 6 ( fish, shellfish, tofu, almonds, walnuts, flaxseed oil ). This is particularly useful for improving back pain-dependent ankylosing spondylitis
What Not To Eat
- Avoid consuming foods that are difficult to digest, such as dips, fries, and foods rich in fat. An unregulated diet can promote overweight and obesity, elements predisposing back pain.
- High-protein foods (limit consumption)
In general, there is no scientific evidence that food relates to worsening back pain symptoms.
Natural Cures And Remedies
To relieve low back pain caused by taking incorrect positions, it is generally sufficient to apply creams, ointments, or compresses formulated with rubefacient active ingredients on the back. For this purpose, we recommend:
- Chilli( Capsicum frutescens ) →rubefacient, antibacterial, analgesic properties
- Camphor( Cinnamomum camphora ) → rubefacient properties
- Arnica ( Arnica montana L.) → anti-inflammatory, antirheumatic, revulsive, analgesic properties
Considering that stress and tension can accentuate lumbar pain, the affected patient can take relaxing and anxiolytic herbal teas formulated with active ingredients such as:
- Chamomile( Chamomilla Recutita ) → mild anxiolytic and sedative properties
- Valerian ( Valeriana officinalis ) → hypnotic, anticonvulsive, soothing properties of the central nervous system
- Escola( Eschscholzia californica ) → sedative, Hypno-inducing, analgesic, relaxing, antineuralgic, and spasmolytic
- Linden( Tilia cordata ) → relaxing, anxiolytic properties
- Zinc: remedy for stress (to be taken in tablet form)
- NSAIDs( non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ):
- Ibuprofen (eg. Brufen , Moment , Immediately)
- Acetylsalicylic acid (e.g., Aspirin, salicin, Vivin C, Ascriptin )
- Naproxen (Aleve , Naprosyn , Prexan, Naprius)
- Corticosteroid drugs: they exert a potent anti-inflammatory activity :
- Prednisone (eg. Deltacortene , Lodotra )
- Methylprednisolone (eg,Solu-medrol, Depo-medrol , Medrol,Urbason )
- Injection of local anesthetics :
- Lidocaine (eg. Lidocaine Hydrochloride Molteni, Xylocaine)
- Opioid pain relievers: when the pain is too intense. They are taken orally.
- Hydrocodone: for example Vicodin (not sold in Italy).
- We are maintaining a normal body mass index guarantees in the long term the preservation of joint cartilage integrity, preventing diseases responsible for back pain.
- Assuming a correct position during standing:
- Keep your feet apart.
- Flex the lower limbs from time to time for greater stability
- To move a load, it is recommended to keep the weight close to the center of gravity of the body.
- Bend over slightly by flexing the knees and spreading the support base to lift a load, keeping the spine straight.
- To get out of bed, it is recommended that you roll your body onto your side, place your hands on the bed (as close to your body as possible) and let your legs drop off the mattress. By following these simple tips, you can prevent back pain.
Before proceeding with any medical intervention, it is recommended to undergo diagnostic tests to identify the triggering cause of back pain.
- Alternative therapies:
- Mass Physiotherapy
- Laser therapy
- Oxygen-ozone therapy for back pain dependent on herniated discs. It involves the introduction of an oxygen/ozone mixture in the intradiscal area. Ozone exerts a moderate anti-inflammatory power by reducing disc pressure.
ALSO READ: STOMATITIS, SYMPTOMS, AND NATURAL REMEDIES